Joyce Ruiz Rodrigues Alves is an expert in Administrative and Competition Law, with extensive expertise gained in the private and public sectors.
In her professional career, she did internships in all of the agencies comprised by the so called Brazilian Competition Policy System: the Secretariat of Economic Law, within the Ministry of Justice; the Secretariat of Economic Monitoring, within the Ministry of Finance; and the Council for Economic Defense.
At Dias Carneiro Advogados, Joyce heads the Antitrust practice and co-heads the Anti-corruption, Compliance and Internal Investigations practices. Her work contributed to the recognition of the “Highly Recommended” in the 2018 ranking of the best law firms in Brazil, a survey conducted by the Leaders League group.
Joyce has extensive experience representing clients in investigations for violations of the economic order and in merger control fillings in several markets. She has specific experience in negotiating settlement agreements in investigations and divestment agreements in complex merger control filings. She also assists companies and associations in the risk assessment of commercial practices structuring and implementing compliance and corporate integrity programs. She has specific experience in the conduction of complex corporate internal investigations.
In 2008 and 2009, Joyce worked as Coordinator at the Secretariat of Economic Law of the Brazilian Ministry of Justice, when worked in investigations of violations to the economic order with other enforcement agencies such as the Federal Police, the General Comptroller of Brazil and the Public Prosecutor’s Offices and in merger review cases.
From 2012 to 2014, she worked as government official in the Court of Audit of the State of Sao Paulo in the fact finding and review of cases relating to bid rigging, corruption and other illegalities in public procurements.
- Master of Laws in Commercial Law, Pontifical Catholic University of São Paulo (PUC-SP)
- Post-graduate in European Competition Law, Kings College London, England
- Bachelor in Law, Pontifical Catholic University of São Paulo (PUC-SP)
- Brazilian Bar Association, São Paulo Section
- Caracterização de abuso de direito de petição como conduta anticoncorrencial: análise das decisões recentes do Tribunal do CADE (Sham litigation as na antitrust infringement: review of recent decisions issued by CADE’s Tribunal). In: João Grandino Rodas. (Org.). Direito concorrencial: avanços e perspectivas. 1ª ed., São Paulo: Editora Prismas, v. 5, p. 243-258, 2018.
- SOPA, PIPA e ACTA: O que nos revelam sobre os desafios enfrentados na proteção e aplicação dos direitos de propriedade industrial? (SOPA, PIPA and ACTA: what do they reveal in relation to the challenges faced in the protection of intelectual property rights) In Revista Fórum de Direito na Economia Digital - RFDED, v. 02, p. 9-279, 2018.
- Are there any specific issues related to merger control in the pharmaceutical industry? In Merger Control in Brazil. Frequently Asked Questions?, São Paulo: Brazilian Institute of Studies on Competition, Consumer Affairs and International Trade (IBRAC), p. 285 – 292, 2018, available at: http://www.ibrac.org.br/UPLOADS/Livros/arquivos/Merger_control_in_Brazil_-_Frequently_asked_questions.pdf
- Onze lições extraídas dos julgados do Cade em casos de supostos carteis em licitações. In 5 Anos de Lei de Defesa da Concorrência: Gênese, Jurisprudência e Desafios para o Futuro, São Paulo: Brazilian Institute of Studies on Competition, Consumer Affairs and International Trade (IBRAC), p. 244 -253, 2017, available at: http://www.ibrac.org.br/UPLOADS/Livros/arquivos/5_ANOS_DE_LEI_DA_CONCORR%E2%95%A9NCIA_-_IBRAC.pdf
- Eleven lessons one can learn from the CADE’s case law in bid rigging cases. In Brazilian Antitrust Law (Law nº 12,529/11): 5 years, São Paulo: Brazilian Institute of Studies on Competition, Consumer Affairs and International Trade (IBRAC), p. 188-196, 2017, available at http://www.ibrac.org.br/UPLOADS/Livros/arquivos/Brazilian_Competition_Law_-_5_years_Preliminary_Version.pdf.
- Licitações públicas, investigações e a Lei da Empresa Limpa (Public procurement, investigation and the Clean Company Act), Legal Ethics Compliance (LEC), 2016, available at http://www.lecnews.com/artigos/2016/02/16/licitacoes-publicas-investigacoes-e-a-lei-da-empresa-limpa/
- Overview of Competition Law in Brazil. In: Overview of Competition Law in Latin America. Brazilian Institute of Studies on Competition, Consumer Affairs and International Trade (IBRAC), São Paulo: p. 100-104, 2016. available at http://www.ibrac.org.br/uploads/livros/arquivos/overview_of_competition_law_in_latin%20america.pdf
- Hypotheses of joint and several liabilities arising from business succession in the Clean Company Act and impact on corporate operations, coauthor, published in the Lawyers' Magazine of the São Paulo Association of Lawyers - AASP, No. 125, December 2014.
- Interface between the Anti-Corruption Law and the Antitrust Law, co-author, published in the Yearbook 2014 of the Center for Studies of Law Firms - CESA.
- Notification of acquisition operations for minority share in the control of structures: what do the analysis of the Ideiasnet/Flynet precedents and the restructuring of the Brazilian petrochemical poles in the South and Southeast reveal?, published in the Competition Law Magazine, No. 22, April 2010.
- Legal concept of an act of concentration, published in the Electronic Magazine of the School of Law at PUC-SP - 1st volume (http://revistas.pucsp.br/red), 2008.